We are pleased to send you the 5th Issue of the @local.glob journal, dedicated to the Inter-agency Conference on Local Economic Development (Turin, Italy, 22-24 October 2008).
The issue provides an overview of current LED challenges, interview with key partners and a list of resources, networks and contacts. Intended as the Background Reader for the LED Conference, it also provides an overview of the Agenda and the background of the event.
Topics covered range from territorial competitiveness, cluster development, value chain upgrading, sustainable tourism, responses to climate change at the local level, skills upgrading, indigenous peoples and cooperatives among others. All the experiences presented in this reader have in common the recognition of the specifics of localities and a concern for strengthening the local economy and creating decent work and a better quality of life for men and women.
In this issue...
I - Local Economic Development: challenges and opportunities
- Building inclusive local economies through promoting decent work
Jens Dyring Christensen and Kees van der Ree
- Skills for competitiveness: anticipating change
Learning from the OECD LEED Programme
- The role of local government in the promotion of local economic development
An evolving UNCDF approach
- UNIDO’s approach to cluster development
- Promoting competitiveness through integrated local development initiatives
Claudio Cortellese and Robert Daughters
II - Interview
- Milestones and challenges of LED practice and academic research
Interview with Andrés Rodríguez-Pose
Director of the Geography and Environment Department at the London School of Economics and Political Science
- Promotion of competitiveness in municipalities from a regional perspective. An undertaking by FEMICA
Interview with Patricia Durán de Jager
Executive Director of the Federation of Central American Municipalities
- Tourism value-chain upgrading in Nepal
Interview with Gobinda Shrestha
Ramechhap Chamber of Commerce and Industries.
III - @global…@local
- UNDP’s response to climate change: adaptation and mitigation
Andre Mershon, Rob Kelly, Andrew Crane-Droesch, Cassie Flynn, Bo Lim and Pradeep Kurukulasuriya
- weADAPT - Collaborating on climate change adaptation
Fernanda Zermoglio and Tom Downing
- Local economic development and the cooperative advantage
- Decentralisation and the challenge of institutionalising local economic development
Faith Lawrence and Tim Hadingham
- Indigenous peoples and local economic development
- Territory, opportunities and fairness: the Chile Emprende programme
IV - Open Section
- Networks and Internet resources on LED
- LED Inter-Agency Conference Agenda
- Delnet ITC/ILO